None of the four states have yet legalized recreational marijuana, but on Thursday, officials agreed to a set of guidelines to follow when considering legalization. They include:
- Enacting similar tax rates for cannabis products to ensure price stability across the regional market;
- Ensuring equitable access to the marijuana industry, especially for minorities who have been disproportionately affected by its prohibition;
- Implementing social justice reforms, including expedited expungements or pardons; and
- Creating a public campaign about the health and safety consequences of cannabis use; and
- Standardizing Drug Recognition Expert training and evidence collection.