My concern is that the existing proposals serve the state budget and the existing largely white marijuana industry more than the people the existing prohibition injured. Five areas that legalization should cover are:
1. Money should be earmarked for communities most impacted in the form of grants and other programs;
2. Automatic retroactive expungement for possession and distribution;
3. Tax revenue for courts and advocates to help process expungement applications and advertise expungement availability;
4. Marijuana activity outside the legal market, including youth use, cannot be criminalized;
5. Youth especially should be diverted to free drug education and never subject to fines or the juvenile justice system.